Cobalt(EU) Status: online
Re4pers Platoon open

1 Alert(s) active

Re4pers In-Game

Character Name BR
5tuperman 73
Most Re4pers ever online: 120 (15 Mar 2020)
Short URL:

Author Topic: Touhou Music - Official works composed by ZUN  (Read 1568 times)

18/08/2022, 16:07

MrFFF

• Human Resource Officer
  • Forum Posts 2.446
    Outfit Rank by Planetside2 Score #36
  • Armpit Eater
Hey! Zun's music is amazing, its not only a amazing basis for rearrangements and not only fits a bullet hell / fighting games it stands on its own as gr8 music. I will post a whole bunch of it here 

Again i will re-post the music i posted before to start with with some additional comments. Mostly to clean up and organize, i also want to showcase cause there is so much to browse trough that if You're getting into this from 0 its just overwhelming, i have been there i know.

Il make a effort to point out where specific peaces come for easy reference

Here are some highlights from T6: Embodiment of scarlet devil the 1st game on windows PC and oh boy what a legacy it created. Considered a cult classic for the iconic characters that rebooted the series and the unique music. Each song was composed for both WAV and MIDI more info on wikipedia and touhou wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embodiment_of_Scarlet_Devil
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Embodiment_of_Scarlet_Devil

In case You don't know what touhou games are, with the 1st vid i will include some game play from this games special stage (Not mine but you can find some on my YT channel) with the most popular theme of this part of the series "U.N. Owen was Her?", probably most known theme over all. 
The game came out in 2002 and like all the mainline series was a 1 man project, currently we are on part 18 of the series with a bunch of spinnof's in between. 

Cirno's theme - Tomboyish girl in love
Cirno is probably one of the most popular characters in the fandom. Even Zun who typically is reluctant to bring back characters too much is powerless against the strongest fairy in the world

Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea - stage 3 theme

Boss 4 Patchouli Knowledge's Theme - Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room

Boss 6 Remilia Scarlet's Theme - Septette for the Dead Princess
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"― Kreia (Knights of the Old Republic II)
"I generally don't believe in things if there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're false" ― Ross Scott

Reply #1
09/09/2022, 11:25

MrFFF

• Human Resource Officer
  • Forum Posts 2.446
  • Armpit Eater
Next was Touhou07, TH6 might be regarded as a classic and loved by many, still it was Zuns 1st venture outside the PC98 platform and midi's. Its undeniable that with 7 Zun is a lot more confident with the format if for no other apparent reason then for the fact that he started using a shit ton of new instruments in the composition. Effect is that the songs are all unique and varied though the soundtrack is maybe not as cohesive. Not necessarily a downside since gives a lot more flavor to the different characters the tracks are attached to

Here are some original track highlights i wanted to share.
Im gonna start with the extra stage song, one of the favorite songs in the fandom that spawned a host of amazing remixes.

I think this is the most intense song in the whole franchise, blends perfectly with the stage its used Here is some of my Gameplay as example

Theres actually a second version of it as the game has 2 extra stages (oh god) the other one is titled Necro-Fantasy. At first it feels softer though its more electronic then symphonic original. That's not to say not intense AF Can be found here (in some aspects i like it more).

Overall the tone of the OST feels a lot more solem and mistic but never mellow or boring

Wanted to limit myself to 4 songs, but im gonna cheat with this hyperlink

Also heres the link to the full ost
« Last Edit: 09/09/2022, 12:54 by MrFFF »
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"― Kreia (Knights of the Old Republic II)
"I generally don't believe in things if there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're false" ― Ross Scott

Reply #2
15/09/2022, 12:54

MrFFF

• Human Resource Officer
  • Forum Posts 2.446
  • Armpit Eater
Next Game! Touhou 08. For me as a whole this OST is the peak of Touhou music. Extremely dynamic but also sublime, fits Touhou franchise perfectly.

First off Retribution for eternal night. By many called the theme song of all Touhou. This is because it uses the characteristic looping motive often associated with the land of Gensokio. And makes it a spectacular frantic battle theme for the 2 best friends and main protagonists of the game series Marisa and Reimu

Depending on who You play as in that stage You get one of the 2 fantastic pieces on top of that as boss themes. 
Reimu Hakurei's Theme - Maiden's Capriccio.

OR Love colored master spark for Marisa Kirisame, cause theirs nothing like destroying Your best friend with a giant fuck off lazor

Extra stage boss theme. Make me wanna do a forest run or get on my bike

Stage 6 boss to go alongside it

Full ost can be found here

Reply #3
24/10/2022, 16:48

MrFFF

• Human Resource Officer
  • Forum Posts 2.446
  • Armpit Eater
Touhou 09... is the game i skipped for now in my quest. 2 reasons for it 1) Its pretty much a offshoot game with greatly changed mechanics 2) When i first tried to run it i had problems configuring it to play on a game pad.

When it comes to the OST. Because the game features a lot of previously introduced characters as playable characters. There are a lot of remade songs from previous games, for the most part the remixes are good enough to not be obvious if i like the original versions more or not. But i will only link new stuff here. Over all not my favorite ost, but there's still a few gr8 jams and its nice to hear new versions of the most classic songs

You can find the full OST here

"Wind god Girl" is the 1st original theme for Aya as this is the game she was 1st introduced. After that she got kinda re-introduced in the next more mainline game with a separate, also fantastic track that i will link when i get there "Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain".

Sakuya got a completely new theme "Flowering night" Most likely cause Zun was not that happy with the one he made for her in Touhou 6. Both are equally loved by the fandom as Sakuya as all TH6 chars is weary popular.

But probably the most recognizable track from TH09 is from the extra stage

Reply #4
03/01/2023, 12:38

MrFFF

• Human Resource Officer
  • Forum Posts 2.446
  • Armpit Eater
Touhou 10 is the last game i finished, it starts a new generation of touhou games with it brings a new fresh and a lot more eastern-traditional vibe... except threes some electric guitar thrown in for good measure (pretty sure for the 1st time[Edit: no its not a bunch was used in TH:08]). Once again the OST over all is weary cohesive and in tone, and once again it brings some of the series all time classics, though for me it host a lot less all time favorites compared to TH08

Full ost here

Native faith - the games extra stage song, this one is so good it made me enjoy every minute of grinding to complete the stage. For me personally this is the song that  urges me to learn play the piano and and just blast off this song every day...

Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain - 2nd Aya's theme honestly i couldn't pick between the 2 both are grand.

Faith is for the Transient People - well known for being the theme of Sanae, a pretty popular character in the fandom. Good song with gr8 use of electric guitar

The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field - Stage 6 Boss Kanako Yasaka's Theme for me this will be the flag title of this OST, just like Native faith it fits and defines gameplay

Special mention to Candid Friend - Nitori's Theme, i just love how darn different this song feels
« Last Edit: 16/01/2023, 12:03 by MrFFF »

Reply #5
09/02/2023, 13:15

MrFFF

• Human Resource Officer
  • Forum Posts 2.446
  • Armpit Eater
Touhou 11 is the game im currently playing, though its kinda on hold... its hard as nails i never even got to stage 6 normal despite probably 8-10 hours play.

+Hartmann's+Youkai+Girl.flac]Link to full ost

But this is about the music! To be honest i lack the words to poperly describe the over all theme or tone. Western more the Eastern? Somber more then sad? Hard to say.  Truth is that is feels incoheseve and varies a bunch between songs... but oh boy the songs are one of a kind and stick with You get to know them

Extra Stage Boss - Koishi Komeiji's Theme - "Hartmann's Youkai Girl". 
I dont think the YT version audio quality gives this song justice so i reccomend a better source... This song is crazy. Its one of those songs that at first dont even feel like songs due to feeling to chaotic or foreign, but once Your brain builds the proper synapse connections You fall in love and never find anything like it. I can only recall 2 other songs that had this effect on me, "Quixotic" by MOON and "Guitarmass" by infected mushroom. Think You have to be devine inspired to create something like that 
+Hartmann's+Youkai+Girl.flac]Touhou 11 ~ Subterranean Animism Original Soundtrack : ZUN : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Satori Komeiji's Theme - Satori Maiden ~ 3rd eye
Satori is the sister of Koishi Together they show a facinating idea for character concepts as both represent Japanises monsters capable of reading human minds. While Satori is a traumatized recluse that to some extent abandomed her emotional unconcious (due to constantly reading the minds of ppl around her). Her sister Koishi functions as the oposite completely sealing off her concious mind in a act of self-harm. Is unable to form long term memories and for the most part cannot be percived conciously by other living things... Its amazing to see what both Zun and the fandom create with these concepts but not enough time to reference it all and this is a music thread damn it!
Satori Komeiji - Touhou Wiki - Characters, games, locations, and more
Koishi Komeiji - Touhou Wiki - Characters, games, locations, and more
+Satori+Maiden+~+3rd+eye.flac]Touhou 11 ~ Subterranean Animism Original Soundtrack : ZUN : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Utsuho's Theme: Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
Stage 6 boss theme that i dont know really that much about... but the song is grand

Stage 2 Boss - Parsee Mizuhashi's Theme - Green-Eyed Jealousy

Bunkster is currently playing Got it!